A blog by a redhead, but not just for redheads. I’m an all-around fun, fearless, female confident in my knowledge of make-up artistry, products and styles and am here to help...if you want it!

24 June 2011

Taking Pride

| |

This is a little bit more of a rant than anything but I think you all should be in the know...

Last Friday I went to the Barbican to see a play and I was sitting next to a woman who literally looked like she either just rolled out of bed or came from the gym. She was wearing a worn out, button down shirt, yoga pants and running shoes; I fought every urge to turn to her and say "pleased to see you got dressed up to go to the theatre!" I was so appalled by her appearance it got me thinking...what happened to people taking pride in their appearance, especially when attending the theatre? 

I remember when I was little and going to the theatre was such a big deal. I went to see The Nutcracker when I was 8 or 9 years old and was so excited to put on my best dress for a night out.  Way before my time going to the theatre was a black tie affair. Men and women would pull out their formal wear to attend a show on Broadway but now people show up in ripped clothing, sweatshirts, baseball hats...yoga pants. Its a disgrace!

I'm all about comfortable style but I also am all about still looking respectable while being comfortable. But I also believe that there is a right place and a right time for that kind of dressing and the theatre is not one of those places. 

0 comments: