A blog by a redhead, but not just for redheads. I’m an all-around fun, fearless, female confident in my knowledge of make-up artistry, products and styles and am here to help...if you want it!

19 June 2011

Curly Girly

| |

I have curly hair. It's not the kind of beautiful curls you see on girls like AnnaLynne McCord or Keri Russell (in her pre-chop Felicity days.) My curls are a bit more Sarah Jessica Parker on a non-stylist day. Don't get me wrong, I do love my curly hair because I have the best of both hair worlds, sleek and straight or wild and curly.  But I have to admit, taming the beast can be a bit "knotty".  Here's the problem, I don't like crispy curls. I like to be able to run my fingers through it without getting them stuck in product, but finding the right concoction to work for me is a struggle. Not to mention, having moved from the US to the UK, the water is different and the products I was using before don't work the same now.

In the States I found the perfect combination, a dollop (that's a technical term) of Aveda Brilliant Humectant Pomade when the hair is wet, working it in from the ends up. Then I would twist the hair into formed curls and use a diffuser attachment to dry my hair. When my hair was about 90% dry I would air dry the rest (usually as I was doing my makeup) and right before I was about to head out, I would put about a quarter sized amount of Paul Mitchell Foaming Pomade in my hands, work it into the hair (ends to root) and voila perfectly curled, manageable hair.  Touching it up the next day by wrapping sections of hair around the barrel of a curling iron and it would reform the curls.

In London I am still trying a boat load few different products to get my curls to my liking.  I have the all of the above mentioned products but I still haven't been able to get the curls perfect.  They need more love with the curling iron than I wish to admit.  However, if I am having one of those lazy SJP days, I'll toss in some John Frieda Frizz Ease and Aveda Be Curly when its damp and pop out the door. That will give me a very bohemian loose wave and I may actually get to work on time...I kid!
I will say though, I swear by Aveda hair products. I worked for the company for 4 years and know what works for me and what to recommend to work for you.  They are a bit of a high end brand but the products are amazing for the hair and work like a dream! I may buy and try a lot of products on the market but I'll probably never stop drinking that Kool-Aid.

Ssshhh, don't tell anyone, but here is what my hair care basket looks like...

0 comments: