A blog by a redhead, but not just for redheads. I’m an all-around fun, fearless, female confident in my knowledge of make-up artistry, products and styles and am here to help...if you want it!

22 June 2011

The Skin You're In

| |

I touched a little bit upon this topic here but I want to talk about how important it is to wear sunscreen.  I know, I know, this topic has been harped upon over and over again...but really y'all, skin cancer is no joke!

I wont lie and tell you that every day of my life I have applied an SPF, because I haven't. However, I will tell you that on those days that I was exposed to the sun and was not wearing sunscreen, I suffered severely and regret every moment of it.  Fun Fact: did you know that (according to the CDC ) Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the United States. In the US in 2007, 58,094 people were diagnosed with melanomas of the skin, and 8,461 people died from it. And (according to Cancer Research UK) The statistics show that 6,183 cases of malignant melanoma were diagnosed in women and 5,584 in men in the UK in 2008. That year there were 2,067 deaths from malignant melanoma in the UK .This is some pretty serious stuff people! 

Everyday I wear sunscreen on my face and if I am out in the sun with other areas of my body exposed I slather it on too.  My makeup has an SPF 25 and if I am not wearing makeup during the day I will put on a facial moisturizer with one in it.  I've been thinking I could probably use a stronger SPF and have been in the market for a facial sunscreen (any suggestions?) Not only does wearing sunscreen protect you from getting skin cancer, but it also prevents you from getting wrinkles.  UVA and UVB radiation cause wrinkles by breaking down collagen, creating free radicals and slowing down the natural repairing of the skin. In other words...they do nothing but harm and age you.  You don't want to look older than your years, do you?  I didn't think so.

I don't want to toot my own horn or anything and I'm only saying this b/c I've been told over and over I don't look my age.  But I'm 33 in August and no one believes me when I tell them my again. I guess I have been genetically blessed when it comes aging, but its also due to the fact that Im very aware being in the sun and applying sunscreen. 

Have a look at this as well, it really resonated with me. 

0 comments: